Legal Super Bowl betting comes to Illinois for the first time on February 7th as the Kansas City Chiefs and Tampa Bay Buccaneers face off at Raymond James Stadium in Tampa, Florida.
Online sports betting has been underway in Illinois since last June, making the 2021 Super Bowl the first in which NFL fans across the state will have access to safe and legal online sportsbooks.
The best Illinois Super Bowl betting apps and websites have already published hundreds of markets for the Big Game and are announcing a steady flow of new promotions every day. Today, we will discuss where to bet on the Super Bowl online and in-person, review the best betting promotions, and answer frequently asked questions related to the Big Game.
- Kickoff: 6:30 PM EST / 5:30 PM CST
- Watch it on TV: CBS starting at 5:00 PM CST
- Stream the Super Bowl for free: CBSSports.com or the CBS Sports app
Best Online Sportsbooks to Bet on Super Bowl LV
Best Illinois Super Bowl Betting Apps in 2021
The Illinois Gaming Board (IGB) has issued licenses to five online sportsbook operators since legalizing sports betting in 2019.
All Illinois sportsbooks are safe and regulated, but not all were created equal. In our experience, three betting apps in particular offer the best experience for betting on the Super Bowl in Illinois. These sportsbooks offer the best combination of welcome bonuses and Super Bowl promotions, variety of betting markets, and wagering interface.
1. BetRivers IL
BetRivers Sportsbook was the first mobile sportsbook to launch in Illinois and has a proven track record as a safe place to bet on the NFL.
Already, BetRivers has opened the books for nearly 440 Super Bowl 55 betting markets. Options include standard moneyline and point spread wagers on who will win, Super Bowl totals, player props, the coin toss, who will win the MVP, and much more.
Recently, BetRivers announced an enhanced welcome bonus just for Super Bowl LV.
New customers who sign up for an account and place a first deposit of at least $100 with the promo code BIGGAME500 qualify for up to $500 in free bets over two phases:
- Get $100 in free bets in return for making your first deposit
- Place $100 or more in wagers on the Super Bowl to receive an equal amount in free bets to get up to $400 extra
The most important things to note about this offer are that your first deposit must be at least $100, and only Super Bowl wagers placed at odds of -200 or longer will be matched with additional free bets. That means Super Bowl wagers placed at odds of -200, +110, or +220 will be matched with free bets but wagers placed at odds of -220, -300, -400, and so on will not.
Visit BetRivers Now:
2. PointsBet IL
PointsBet Sportsbook entered the Illinois market relatively recently (September 2020) but is already one of the state’s most successful operators due to a heavy emphasis on promotions and an extensive wagering menu.
PointsBet opened its Super Bowl LV betting markets with 420 options and continues to expand its list daily. Given its history with previous Super Bowls in other states, PointsBet is likely to have the most extensive wagering menu of any operator on game day. Even before coming to Illinois, PointsBet had a reputation for offering hundreds of wagers during major sporting events.
Something else to consider is PointsBet is the only sportsbook in Illinois with per-point betting markets. If you launch the PointsBet app and visit the 2021 Super Bowl betting page, you’ll see a tab for PointsBetting wagers.
PointsBetting wagers let you pick an amount to bet per point to earn payouts that vary based on the accuracy of your prediction. To read more about the mechanics of PointsBetting, see our PointsBet IL review.
PointsBet has temporarily enhanced its new customer bonus to celebrate the 2021 Super Bowl. If you sign up for an account between now and February 7th, PointsBet will give you two risk-free first bets worth up to $2,000 in total:
- Risk-Free Fixed Odds Bet: Place your first standard bet on the 2021 Super Bowl with PointsBet, and if it loses, PointsBet will refund you with an equal amount in free bets for up to $500 back.
- Risk-Free PointsBetting Bet: Place your first PointsBetting-style wager on the Super Bowl and get back up to $1,500 if it loses.
Visit PointsBet Now:
3. DraftKings IL
As a longtime daily fantasy operator and now one of the country’s most successful sportsbooks, DraftKings is always a safe bet. A busy promotional schedule and hundreds of betting markets make DraftKings Sportsbook worth a look even if you already have a betting account elsewhere.
DraftKings Super Bowl LV betting markets cover every aspect of the game, from straight-up moneylines on who will win to over/under bets on each quarterback’s passer rating.
If novelty props are your thing, DraftKings has you covered. Some of the Super Bowl novelty prop bets on offer at DraftKings include the outcome of the coin toss, which team will win the coin toss, trick play specials, over/under bets on the jersey number of the last touchdown scorer, and much more.
The DraftKings IL Super Bowl bonus offers all new customers an extra 20% on their first deposit for up to $1,000 in free bets. This is the biggest Super Bowl bonus on offer right now, but bettors should note that it comes with a 25x rollover. That means if you deposit $500 and receive a $100 bonus, you will have to place $2,500 in bets within 90 days to release the bonus for withdrawal.
Visit DraftKings Now:
Illinois Super Bowl Betting Promotions
Super Bowl season is the best time of the year for sports betting promotions, especially in states like Illinois, where online sportsbooks are battling with one another to establish market share and sign up new customers.
The best 2021 Super Bowl betting promotions take a variety of formats. As game day draws near, be on the lookout for big welcome bonuses, enhanced odds offers, refund guarantees for losing wagers, and much more.
Note: Most sportsbooks will announce additional promotions as the Super Bowl approaches. The promotions listed below were available at the time of this writing, but if you plan to bet on the Super Bowl, you may want to go ahead and get an account at a couple of sportsbooks to ensure you receive instant notifications when new promos launch.
BetRivers Super Bowl LV Promotions
BetRivers has a nice Super Bowl deposit bonus, but it has been slow to add much beyond that. However, BetRivers does launch new odds boosts every day to give bettors added value on select markets.
Below are a few of BetRivers’ most recent enhanced odds offers:
- Act Your Age: Brady to record a 43+ yard pass and Mahomes to record 25+ completions: +220
- Any non-quarterback to win the Super Bowl MVP award: +220
- Tom Brady to throw more TDs than Patrick Mahomes: +150
- First touchdown to be scored by Tyreek Hill or Travis Kelce: +250
- Over 2.5 players to throw a touchdown in Super Bowl LV: +1400
- Leonard Fournette and Ronald Jones II to combine for over 99.5 rushing yards and 1+ touchdown: +200
PointsBet Super Bowl Promotions
PointsBet Sportsbook announces new promotions frequently as standard operating procedure, even when it’s not Super Bowl season. With three Super Bowl promotions already live and more likely to come, PointsBet should be one of your first stops if you’re looking for value-added offers.
Additionally, PointsBet has maintained a longstanding policy of never enforcing wagering requirements on free bet winnings. If you earn a free bet with PointsBet now or in the future, you’ll be able to cash out any winnings obtained by wagering the free bet at will.
- Best Odds on NFL Spreads: For a limited time, PointsBet will be offering the best odds in Illinois on NFL spreads with -105 on both sides.
- Big Game Boosters: Get enhanced odds on select markets every day through the Super Bowl. For just a couple of examples, PointsBet has enhanced the odds of Patrick Mahomes winning the MVP from -110 to +110 and Tom Brady recording more than 0.5 rushing yards from +175 to +200. Check PointsBet every evening for more boosted Super Bowl bets.
- Big Game GOAT Insurance: Place a pregame moneyline wager on either team to win the Super Bowl and get your bet back (up to $50) in free bets if your team wins outright or loses by 43 points or less.
DraftKings Super Bowl Promotions
DraftKings has announced a handful of Super Bowl LV offers so far and will probably release more as game day approaches.
- Big Game No Brainer: if you’re new to DraftKings, you can claim this offer in addition to the standard welcome bonus by signing up for an account and making a deposit. In return, DraftKings will let you bet up to $50 on the “any team to score a touchdown during the Super Bowl” market at odds of +100.
- Big Game Mystery Box: Login to your DraftKings account on the mobile app or website every day for a new mystery boost for the Super Bowl. Each day, DraftKings will randomly issue you an odds boost on one specific player to score the game’s first touchdown.
- Wrangler Big Game Squares: Play in DraftKings’ $55,000 guaranteed Super Bowl squares game for free. All you need to do is opt-in and pick a square. DraftKings will randomly assign numbers to every row and column, and you’ll win real cash prizes if the combined score at the end of any quarter matches your numbers. There are no strings attached – just log in and play for free.
- Free $55 Million Prediction Challenge: Win up to $1,000,000 by entering the DraftKings 4th quarter prediction challenge pool. This contest is 100% free to join, and it will ask you ten questions, such as which team will score more points in the 4th quarter. You can answer questions right up until the 4th quarter begins. Additionally, DraftKings will give you a prize from $3 to $25,000 just for entering the contest. Again, this is all offered free of charge.
Where to Bet on the 2021 Super Bowl in Chicago
Chicago NFL fans have numerous options to bet on the Super Bowl in-person or online.
First of all, keep in mind that all mobile betting apps offer their services throughout the entire Chicago area. If you can’t make it to a retail sportsbook in time or the state further limits capacity, mobile sportsbooks will be your lifeline to betting on the Super Bowl no matter what.
As for in-person Chicago sportsbooks, you have several options within driving distance:
- Rivers Casino Des Plaines near O’Hare International Airport
- PointsBet Sportsbook at Hawthorne Race Course, about 15 minutes southwest of downtown Chicago
- PointsBet Sportsbook at Club Hawthorne Crestwood, about 35 minutes southwest of downtown Chicago
- Grand Victoria Casino in Elgin, about 45 minutes northwest of downtown Chicago on the banks of Fox River
- Hollywood Casino Joliet, about an hour southwest of downtown Chicago
- Hollywood Casino Aurora, about 45 minutes west of downtown Chicago
Where to Bet on the Super Bowl in St. Louis
Missouri lacks legal sports betting at the moment, but NFL fans in the St. Louis area are not far from two retail sportsbooks plus mobile betting just across the river.
If you want to bet online, you can sign up for an account and deposit from Missouri, and then cross over into Illinois either on or before game day to place your bets.
For the in-person Super Bowl betting experience, here are your best options:
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I bet on Super Bowl novelty props such as the coin toss in Illinois?
Illinois Gaming Board members specifically addressed Super Bowl prop bets during the latest IGB meeting on January 27th. During the meeting, IGB board members reviewed state law and discussed which types of novelty prop bets IL sportsbooks may offer for the Super Bowl.
In general, Illinois betting apps may offer common Super Bowl novelty props such as whether the coin toss will result in heads or tails, which team will win the coin toss, and the color of the Gatorade shower.
As IGB board members put it in their meeting, sportsbooks may offer wagers on objective in-game or player statistics, and activities “directly within control of the NFL.” Sportsbooks can offer bets on the coin toss, the total length of the halftime, and the color of the Gatorade shower because those things are managed by players and personnel who work within the NFL organization.
Sportsbooks may not accept wagers that are “wholly unconnected to the conduct of the Super Bowl” and therefore lack sufficient safeguards and oversight for integrity. As such, the length of the National Anthem, broadcaster wardrobes, contents of commercials, costume malfunctions, and the contents of players’ postgame speeches are all off-limits.
However, Illinois sportsbooks may accept wagers on objective in-game statistics relative to non-game occurrences. For example, a sportsbook cannot offer a bet on the length of the National Anthem in isolation, but it can offer a wager comparing the length of a drive to the length of the National Anthem.
Do I have to register at a casino in-person to bet on the Super Bowl online in Illinois?
State law originally stipulated that bettors would have to register for online betting accounts at a casino for the first 18 months of Illinois’ sports betting market, but that provision is no longer in place.
Governor JB Pritzker has signed multiple executive orders in response to the COVID-19 pandemic to enable remote registration. Currently, NFL fans in Illinois may sign up for mobile betting accounts and place bets online from anywhere within state lines.
The current remote registration order extends until February 6th. Illinois will likely extend the order to ensure it remains in place for the Super Bowl, which will be the single largest sports betting event Illinois has experienced since the state’s first sportsbooks opened last year.