According to a press release, “the newly remodeled Club Hawthorne in suburban Crestwood is part of Hawthorne’s off-tracking betting (OTB) network, and is the first of three such OTB locations that will open under Illinois’ sports betting law.”
This marks the second first for the Hawthorne-PointsBet partnership. The PointsBet Sportsbook at Hawthorne Race Course opened its doors in September, making it the first racetrack sportsbook in Illinois.
“Hawthorne is the only gaming company in the Chicagoland area that is able to open sportsbooks at off-track and non-casino locations, so this is an opportunity on which we focused a lot of energy and investment,” said Tim Carey, president and CEO of Hawthorne Race Course. “We completely remodeled the space to create the best sports viewing and sports betting destination in the State.”
“As sports fans we all love the game, love the action, but we also love experiencing it with other fans,” said Johnny Aitken, CEO of PointsBet USA. “The unique opportunity to open a new-style of standalone sportsbooks with Hawthorne required us to develop something that would match the best-in-class customer experience that PointsBet provides on our mobile platform. This isn’t just the best sportsbook in Chicago, it’s the best sports bar too.”
A Look Inside the Sportsbook
The new PointsBet Sportsbook is open from 12 PM-10 PM Monday through Friday and 10 AM-10 PM on the weekends.
- Six self-serve kiosks
- Five betting clerk stations
- A 163” Hero LED Video Wall and twenty-four 75” TVs bookending the viewing area;
- a fully integrated, state-of-the-art sound system;
- Room for up to 500 people (full capacity post-COVID); and
- leather captain’s chairs, small group couches, and highboy tables.
Retail Sports Betting in Illinois
Mobile sports wagering is available in Illinois, and as is the case in other states, it’s dominating retail sports betting numbers, where online handle outpaces retail handle by a 16-1 margin.
That said, retail betting generates indirect revenue for facilities making it an essential piece of the legal gambling puzzle – even if the revenue numbers don’t bear that out.
PointsBet’s new sportsbook at Club Hawthorne joins eight other retail sportsbooks in Illinois:
- BetRivers Sportsbook at Rivers Casino Des Plaines
- Sportsbook at Argosy Casino Alton
- DraftKings Sportsbook at Casino Queen
- FanDuel Sportsbook at Par-A-Dice Casino
- William Hill Sportsbook at Grand Victoria Casino
- The Sportsbook at Hollywood Casino Joliet
- The Sportsbook at Hollywood Casino Aurora
- PointsBet Sportsbook at Hawthorne Race Course
A complete list of mobile sports betting apps in Illinois is available here.