FOX Bet is an online and mobile sportsbook that was formed as the result of a joint effort between FOX Sports and international gaming giant Flutter Entertainment PLC.
Flutter Entertainment is the parent company of multiple major brands, including FanDuel, Betfair and PokerStars. Meanwhile, FOX Sports commands national reach as one of the country’s national sports broadcasting and news networks.
Each company is a behemoth in its respective industry, and together they bring to the partnership a potent combination of online gaming experience and marketing reach.
The partnership makes perfect sense from a business perspective, but our FOX Bet Illinois review seeks to answer a different question: does it deliver from the customer’s perspective? This review will dive deep into the FOX Bet experience as we consider the welcome bonus, mobile app and more.
In addition to sports betting, FOX Bet operates the free-to-play FOX Sports Super 6 contest each week in which players make six quick predictions for a chance to win $250,000 in jackpots or thousands of dollars in secondary prizes. FOX Sports Super 6 is currently available in Illinois and this review will touch on that aspect as well.
The FOX Bet Rundown
- Established: 2019
- Mobile Apps: iOS and Android; responsive website for desktop and mobile users
- Website: FOXBet.com
- Sports Covered: Major US professional sports, college sports and international competition
- Welcome Bonus: $500 Deposit Bonus + $500 First Bet Match
- Bonus Code: None needed
- License Status: FOX Bet has not yet applied for an IL license
FOX Bet Illinois Launch Plans
FOX Bet has not definitely confirmed it will be coming to Illinois, but the company has shown no hesitation in expanding to new markets and has a clear path to market access.
In 2019, the parent company of FOX Bet signed an agreement with Penn National Gaming granting the group options to offer online sports betting in states in which Penn National has properties and where permitted by law. Penn National operates three casinos in Illinois, which clears the path for FOX Bet to make an entrance.
Additionally, FOX Bet has shown no hesitation in expanding to new markets since its initial launch in 2019 for New Jersey customers. In all likelihood, the launch of FOX Bet Illinois is only a matter of time.
FOX Bet Illinois Bonus
FOX Bet tends to offer large and frequent promotions for new and existing customers. New customers can claim a two-part welcome bonus worth up to $1,000 in aggregate while existing users can choose from a revolving lineup of short-term promos.
50% up to $500 Deposit Bonus
New customers who sign up for an account and make a first deposit qualify for a 50% deposit bonus worth up to $500.
For example, a $100 deposit would be good for $50 in bonus money while a $1,000 deposit would yield $500 in bonus money.
New users can opt in by signing up for an account, logging in and visiting the “Challenges” window inside the “My Stars” area. No bonus code is needed to claim this offer.
This is one of the bigger welcome bonuses on offer in the industry, but readers should note that it comes with a 25x rollover. FOX Bet specifically notes in the promo T&Cs that the bonus is released in $10 increments for every $250 worth of wagers placed.
Additionally, the bonus may only be cleared by placing wagers at odds of -200 and greater. That means wagers placed on heavy favorites (such as favorites priced at -220, -450, etc.) do not count toward the rollover. Once the bonus has been cleared, it may be withdrawn.
First Bet Matched up to $500
The second portion of the new customer bonus offers to match each bettor’s first wager 100% for up to $500 in site credit. Unlike some first bet match offers, this one is issued to all customers whether their first bet wins or loses.
The qualifying first bet must be placed within 30 days of signing up for an account and must be placed on a wager at odds of -200 or greater. The free bet will be issued within 24 hours and is valid for 30 days. The free bet must be rolled over just one time at odds of -200 or greater in order to clear any winnings earned from the free bet for withdrawal.
Moving beyond the new customer offers, FOX Bet maintains an active promotional schedule for existing players. Offers change frequently, but there are always a few offers available at any given time.
Below is a list of promotions that were on offer at the time of this review. Note that FOX Bet retires and launches new offers frequently, but for the most part, the following examples accurately depict the general FOX Bet approach to promos.
- $5 For Every Run Scored: FOX Bet welcomed the start of the most recent MLB season with an offer giving customers $5 for every run their team scored. Users needed only place a $5 bet on any MLB team to win its opening day game to qualify for up to $50 in free bets.
- FOX Bet Parlay Club: This promo offers customers a $10 free bet whenever they place a total of $50 or more on parlay wagers that include 4+ legs at odds of -200 or greater each.
- FOX Sports Saturday Super Boost: Every weekend, FOX Bet identifies the sporting event with the most interest among bettors and “heavily” enhances the odds for everyone. Customers can view the “bet boost” section on the FOX Bet homepage to view all open odds boosts.
- Winner Wednesday: Customers who follow FOX Bet on social media can win a share of $275 in free bets every Wednesday. Each week, FOX Bet asks a question on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram and customers can take a shot at winning a $25 free bet by replying with the answer. Each week, five winners are selected from Twitter, three from Facebook and three from Instagram.
- Free Bet Friday: Customers who follow FOX Bet on Twitter can take a shot at a $100 free bet every Friday by answering one question and retweeting the original tweet. Each week, FOX Bet picks six winners to each receive a $100 free bet.
FOX Bet Mobile App Review
FOX Bet is available as a standalone app for iOS and Android devices.
The FOX Bet mobile app presents itself as a polished and sleek betting platform, which is to be expected considering this is a product of two industry leaders with deep pockets. On the issue of presentation, there are no concerns there. Wagers are displayed clearly, the color scheme makes it easy to see what’s going on and the general sense one gets is this is a professional operation.
Functionality is similarly on par with industry expectations with responsive button taps and quick loading times when moving from one page to another on the app. FOX Bet felt a little slow when it first debuted in New Jersey but appears to have improved in that regard.
Available features include live visual data feeds for in-play betting, historic and heads-up statistics for almost every game and early cash out (more on that below).
Mobile Betting Screenshots:
In-Play Betting at FOX Bet
FOX Bet provides in-play betting markets on a large range of sports extending well beyond the major US and international leagues. While most online sportsbooks have no issue covering the major sports of the world, getting reliable data for many of the smaller leagues FOX Bet covers can be challenging for operators.
Customers can log in any time of day and find dozens of games either already in play or on the schedule for later that day. Every game for the primary US sports leagues is given the in-play treatment while many international soccer games are covered, plus niche events such as table tennis and darts.
Going back to data, we have found FOX Bet tends to offer more data on average than other sportsbooks – especially for smaller niche sports. As one of the screenshots below shows, FOX Bet even shows win likelihood percentages for certain in-game events.
The number and types of wagers available for each in-play betting event varies widely from game to game. Major international soccer games and US sports games can feature 200+ wagers at time while smaller games might offer 5-10 live betting markets in total.
The one thing missing at this point is live streaming sports video, but that too seems likely to change at some point given FOX Sports’ role in the betting app. In July 2020, FOX Sports announced it would be showing every broadcast game, pregame show, postgame show in the FOX Sports app. With that capability now in place, it would not be a stretch for FOX Sports to add that same capability to the betting app.
In-Play Betting Screenshots:
Betting Markets and Types of Wagers
Sports coverage at FOX Bet can be fairly described as comprehensive. FOX Bet accepts wagers on professional US sports, college sports and dozens of international leagues for both mainstream and niche sports.
NFL, NHL, MLB, NHL and NCAA are covered extensively as expected along with tennis, golf, boxing and more. Soccer coverage includes the English Premier League, MLS, World Cup and professional leagues from a long list of countries.
Market depth tends to vary according to the prominence of each game. FOX Bet might provide hundreds of wagers for an important game in a high profile sport and just a few wagers for an event in an obscure sport.
Bet types run the gamut from standard moneylines and point totals to player props, team props and more. FOX Bet also offers early cash out on certain wagers and can create custom wagers for players on request:
- #CustomBet: Bettors who have an idea for a wager that isn’t listed at FOX Bet can tweet the official account (@FOXBet) with an idea and tag it with #custombet to see if the oddsmakers will price it up. Customers may also visit the custom bet tag on the FOX Bet website or app to see a list of personalized wagers.
- Early Cash Out: This feature allows bettors to close their bets early before the relevant event has come to a conclusion, which in turn gives bettors the option to take their profits if the game is going as expected or to cut their losses early if the game isn’t going according to plan.
Sports covered: Football, athletics, Australian rules, badminton, bandy, baseball, basketball, beach soccer, beach volleyball, bowls, boxing, cricket, darts, floorball, handball, soccer, futsal, golf, hockey, Formula 1, NASCAR, Indy Car, MMA, rowing, rugby union, rugby league, snooker, table tennis, tennis, volleyball and winter sports.
Types of wagers accepted: Point spread, money line, point total, alternative totals, alternative lines, player props, team props, game props, parlays, teasers, round robins, custom bets, race to X points and more.
FOX Sports Super 6
FOX Sports Super 6 is a free-to-play predictions game run by FOX Sports in which players make six sports predictions each week for a shot at winning $250,000.
Super 6 hosts new contests each weekend, and the questions are always related to that week’s biggest upcoming games. For example, FOX Sports hosted three contests every weekend during the most recent NFL season with top prizes ranging from $25,000 to $250,000. During the off-season, Super 6 hosts contests for other sports as well to keep players in the action year-round.
The types of questions asked vary each weekend but tend cover topics such as predicting the winner and margin of victory in six games or answering multiple choice questions about certain players’ performances in upcoming games.
FOX Sports Super 6 is available in all states across the US except Washington. Anyone interested in giving it a try can download it as a standalone app from the App Store on iOS devices or from the Google Play Store on Android devices.
FOX Bet Deposit Methods
Under Illinois law, FOX Bet and other sportsbooks are permitted to accept standard payment methods such as credit and debit cards, eChecks and more. Currently, FOX Bet accepts the following deposit options:
- Credit and Debit Card: FOX Bet accepts Visa and Mastercard
- PayPal: Personal PayPal accounts accepted; note PayPal policies require any funds that are deposited to a betting site be upload via bank transfer and not by credit/debit card
- PayNearMe: Make an instant deposit with cash by selecting this method, generating a receipt and paying in person at a nearby convenience store or pharmacy
- Skrill: Skrill is an e-wallet that resembles PayPal but with more funding methods
- VanillaDirect: Another cash-based deposit method; generate a barcode online and then scan it at a local retailer to deposit with cash
- Stars Transfer (Bank Transfer): Stars transfer allows customers of major banks to initiate an electronic transfer of funds by selecting an amount to deposit and then confirming the transaction by logging in with their existing online banking ID/password
Customer support is not a strong point for FOX Bet at this time. The only method to reach a support representative is to log in, open the “Account” menu item and select “Help” to send a form e-mail asking for help.
FOX Bet does offer a detailed and useful self-help knowledgebase, but the lack of instant support is a big miss.
Responsible Gambling Tools
FOX Bet does well in the responsible gambling department with a useful help guide that offers problem gambling resources, multiple tools to set account limits and the ability to self-exclude temporarily or permanently.
Customers who wish to ensure they keep their habits under control can set the following limits by logging in, visiting the “Account” menu and then selecting “responsible gaming settings.” There, users may set the following limits:
- Time: Restrict total session time to a maximum number of hours per day
- Spending: Set a maximum daily, weekly or monthly limit on the total value of wagers placed
- Deposit: Set a maximum total daily, weekly or monthly deposit limit
- Stake: Set a limit on the amount that may be wagered on any single bet