FanDuel Sportsbook now offers mobile sports betting in Illinois. Recently, the Illinois Gaming Board issued a temporary operating license to FanDuel to clear one of the few remaining hurdles standing between FanDuel and the Illinois sports betting market. Mobile and online betting officially commenced in August 2020.
Now that FanDuel is live in Illinois, it is time to dig in to what is on offer for potential customers. Today’s FanDuel Illinois review will explain what to expect in terms of software, mobile app, bonuses, promotions, betting options and more.
The FanDuel Rundown
- Established: 2009
- Mobile Apps: iOS and Android
- Website: FanDuel.com
- Sports Covered: Professional US sports, international sports and college sports
- Welcome Bonus: $500 first bet refund guarantee
- Bonus Code: None needed
- License Status: Temporary Operating Permit
FanDuel Illinois Bonus
FanDuel Sportsbook offers a welcome bonus worth up to $500 to new customers plus regular promotions throughout the year for everyone.
$500 Risk Free Bet
The new customer bonus at FanDuel offers to refund each user’s first wager if it loses with up to $500 in site credit. Illinois residents can claim this bonus by signing up for an account, making a deposit and placing their first wager.
As an example, a new user who registers, places a first wager of $100 and loses would receive $100 in site credit.
If the first wager is a loser and a refund issued, customers may use that bonus money to place additional wagers at FanDuel. Winnings obtained by wagering the bonus may be withdrawn after wagering an amount equal to the size of the bonus. For example, a customer receiving a $100 bonus would need to place $100 worth of wagers before withdrawing any winnings earned by wagering the bonus.
Typically, FanDuel Illinois bonuses other than the welcome offer are designed to coincide with high profile events and the major sports that are in season.
Below are examples of recent promos that were run by FanDuel, open to new and existing customers alike. Note that promos here change regularly; the following promos merely serve to showcase how FanDuel tends to reward customers.
- Seventh Inning Stretch Insurance: Users who place a pregame moneyline wager on any MLB game will be refunded with up to $50 in site credit if that wager is winning during the seventh inning stretch but then goes on to lose.
- MLB World Series Win Bonus: Customers who place a $50 or larger bet on any team to win the World Series receive a $5 bonus for each game that team wins during its first 10 games of the season.
- Win from Home Props Contests: During this promo, FanDuel asked each user five questions each day on a variety of subjects ranging from sports to pop culture. Anyone who got all five answers correct split that day’s $1,000 payout with any other winners.
- Stanley Cup Win Bonus: In this promo, users who placed a $50+ futures wager on any team to win the Stanley Cup were given a $10 bonus for each win that team achieved during its first five playoff games.
- NBA Finals Win Bonus: Similar to the above MLB and NHL promotions, this offer gave users who placed a $50 wager on a team to win the NBA Finals Championship $10 in site credit for each game that team wins during its first five games of the season.
- Multi Sport Parlay Insurance: FanDuel customers who place a parlay consisting of five or more legs on any sport are refunded with up to $25 in site credit if that parlay misses by just one leg.
FanDuel Illinois Mobile App Review
The FanDuel Illinois app is available for download on iOS and Android devices. Bettors may also point their browsers (both mobile and desktop) to sportsbook.fanduel.com to log in and place wagers through the FanDuel website.
Betting through the FanDuel mobile app is a fairly straightforward experience thanks to an intuitive layout and clear labelling. The home screen of the app makes use of two menus, one each along the top and bottom for quick navigation, while the central area displays major games that are open for betting.
This setup allows users to quickly navigate to any key game or sport, manage their accounts, access the betting slip, see the latest promotions and view a complete list of available sports.
Tapping on the odds displayed next to any betting market adds that selection to the betting slip, which can be accessed any time from the bottom menu. Users can add multiple selections to the betting slip and then visit the slip to adjust wager sizes, build custom parlays and confirm their bets.
In-play betting and live streaming sports features are also integrated into the app, giving customers the ability to bet on and watch games in real time from anywhere within IL state lines.
Mobile Betting Screenshots:
In-Play Betting at FanDuel
FanDuel Illinois offers in-play betting for most sports, both mainstream and niche. All major US games are covered with in-play betting along with a large number of international events such as soccer games from around the world, tennis and even darts. On any given day, customers will suffer no lack of in-play betting options.
Market depth for in-play betting is above average. Even niche events such as Russian table tennis are covered in more detail than one would guess. Likewise, live betting options for the major US sports are expansive.
The in-play betting interface itself is organized to display live stats and game feeds near the top of the screen and live odds beneath. This arrangement allows users to view odds updates in real time while also monitoring the progress of the game. In some cases, users can actually watch the game live via streaming video deals FanDuel has struck with various sports leagues.
One thing FanDuel could improve this area would be offering shorter-term in-play betting markets such as the “Flash Bet” wagers offered by DraftKings. Such wagers take a more granular approach to live betting by allowing customers to bet on shorter propositions such as how the next play drive in an NFL game will unfold – and then get paid instantly.
In-Play Betting Screenshots:
Live Streaming Sports Video
FanDuel Sportsbook now offers live streaming sports feeds for select events. Customers who have an account balance greater than $0 or who have wagered on the event being streamed can log in any time to watch games live through the mobile app or via desktop at no cost.
To date, FanDuel has reached agreements with several organizations to offer live streaming video to customers. FanDuel reached a partnership with sports data firm Sportradar to stream live tennis matches and German soccer games in 2019 and followed that the next year with the launch of live streaming NHL games in partnership with IMG Arena.
Customers may now watch streams for select games from the following sports and leagues:
- NHL: Up to two live streams each day throughout the regular season
- Tennis: Select low-to-mid level tennis matches and the Australian Open
- European Soccer: Select European soccer matches, including Bundesliga games
- Table Tennis: Select Russian table tennis matches
- Darts: Select darts tournaments
- Baseball: Select Korean baseball games
Although these are not top-level viewing options aside from the NHL games, the addition of live streaming at all is an important step for the US sports betting industry and FanDuel is leading the pack in that regard.
Betting Markets and Types of Wagers
FanDuel Sportsbook accepts wagers on all pro leagues in the US, many international leagues and college sports. As one of the nation’s larger online sportsbooks, FanDuel is predictably comprehensive in terms of sports covered.
Within each sport, league coverage usually covers the major professional league in the US plus at least one other international league and college-level play where applicable.
Similarly, the wagering options for individual contests are numerous. Hundreds of markets are offered for major events, including a large variety of alternate lines, alternate totals and props.
FanDuel also offers an early cash out feature in which customers may close out a bet before the result is in to take their profits or cut their losses. Bettors can find this feature by visiting the betting slip to view any open wagers. If early cash out is available for that wager, FanDuel will display how much the early cash out would pay if taken right now alongside how much is at risk and what could be won if the bet is allowed to stand.
Sports covered: athletics, baseball, basketball, cricket, cycling, darts, football, Gaelic sports, golf, handball, hockey, MMA, motorsports, Olympics, pools, rowing, Rugby League, Rugby Union, snooker, soccer, swimming, tennis, volleyball and winter sports.
Types of wagers offered: futures, moneylines, spreads, point totals, alternate handicaps, alternate totals, half/quarter/period moneylines, team to score first, player to score first, parlays, same game parlays, teasers, half/quarter/period totals, team props and player props.
FanDuel Deposit Methods
As outlined by 11 Ill. Adm. Code 1900 (page 105), FanDuel is permitted to accept deposits through a standard range of funding methods such as credit and debit cards, bank transfers, cash and e-wallets.
Current deposit methods include the following:
- Credit and Debit Card: FanDuel accepts Visa and Mastercard
- Play+ Card: The FanDuel Play+ card consists of an online account that can be funded electronically and an actual card that can be used to get cash out of ATMs and make purchases in person. Play+ is convenient in that it can be used for deposits and withdrawals.
- PayPal: Personal PayPal accounts linked to a bank account may be used to deposit at FanDuel.
- Online Banking: Users may select this option to initiate an instant ACH bank transfer from their checking or savings account to FanDuel.
- PayNearMe: This is a cash deposit method that users initiate online and complete with an in-person cash payment at a nearby PayNearMe location (typically a gas station or pharmacy).
- Wire Transfer: Wire transfers usually require a trip to the bank to initiate but are useful for large deposits.
FanDuel Sportsbook provides customer support via live chat, e-mail and form request. Customers may also visit a large knowledge base that provides detailed answers to a wide range of questions. The lack of phone support is a miss, but live chat helps make up for that to an extent.
Responsible Gambling Tools
Illinois law requires all operators to provide customers with the ability to (at a minimum) stop all deposits, stop all wagering and to set limits on dollar amounts wagered. With prior experience in other regulated states, FanDuel comes to Illinois fully equipped in that regard.
FanDuel customers can set custom deposit, wager and time limits, request a time out or self-exclude entirely from within the app or website.